Wood-burning stove catches home's chimney on fire

GUTHRIE — A home’s chimney caught fire when a family was using a wood-burning stove Thursday night in rural Guthrie.

Roberts-Melvin Fire Chief Larry Boundy said the fire was reported about 9:30 or 10 p.m. at a single-story ranch-style house at 750 North and 753 East roads in the unincorporated community of Guthrie.

The family living there was using a wood-burning stove at the time, Boundy said. He said the stove’s flames caught the chimney on fire, and the fire subsequently spread to a wall and the home’s roof.

“First, they thought it was in the wall, and then they went outside and saw it was going up the outside of the house — on the outside wall and on the roof a little bit,” Boundy said.

The family escaped without injury, Boundy said.

Boundy was unable to provide an estimate for repair.

Firefighters from Roberts, Melvin and Gibson City responded, staying on scene for about 1 1/2 to two hours.


The Paxton Record embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. we reserve the right to remove any comment at its discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Bilevoxn wrote on June 12, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Thanks for sharing a great informative article. Buy a Greenwood wood boiler that saves 70% on your home heating bills. We offer the world-class wood gasification heating appliances on an affordable budget.