Stove catches fire south of Piper City

PIPER CITY — Firefighters from Piper City and Chatsworth responded to a stove fire at a two-story home south of Piper City on Friday.

Firefighters were sent to the home, located at 1268 E. 2000 North, after the home’s owner, John Weakman, reported that he could see smoke coming from the inside.

Jake Hitchens, who serves as EMS coordinator for the Piper City fire department, said Weakman had left his residence earlier in the day, then later drove by his house and noticed the smoke.

“When he opened the door, smoke was rolling out, so he got his dog out and called us,” Hitchens said.

An unattended stove that Weakman had used earlier in the day apparently had been left on and caught fire, Hitchens said.

The fire spread to some cabinets above  the stove and through the ceiling, Hitchens said.

“It pretty much gutted the kitchen,” Hitchens said, adding that the rest of the home did not have any fire damage but did sustain damage from smoke and water.

Comments

The Paxton Record embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. we reserve the right to remove any comment at its discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments