Vacuum catches fire in home east of Paxton

PAXTON — A central vacuum system caught fire while a rural Paxton man was using it to clean his home Monday afternoon.

Paxton firefighters were called to a report of smoke in a two-story home at 2181 E. Illinois 9 at 3:42 p.m., according to Fire Chief Denny Kingren.

The home’s owner, Dan Kupferschmid, was using the central vacuum system near a wood-burning stove when it started smoking, Kingren said.

“It appears the occupant might have sucked something in, like a hot ember from the wood-burning stove,” Kingren said. “It caused a fire internally in the vac, which created smoke in the basement and up into the home.”

No injuries were reported.

Firefighters removed the central vacuum system from the home, Kingren said.

Thirteen Paxton firefighters responded, staying on scene until about 4:30 p.m. Also responding were the Paxton Police Department, Paxton Emergency Response Service, Ford County Sheriff’s Office and Gibson Area Ambulance Service.

Location (3):Local, Paxton, Ford County

Comments

The Paxton Record embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. we reserve the right to remove any comment at its discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments