Fire chief: Heaters likely caused blaze that destroyed garage

ROBERTS — Heaters that were being used inside a garage on North Main Street in Roberts are suspected of causing a fire that destroyed the structure and its contents Thursday afternoon.

Russell “Bud” Stevens, chief of the Roberts fire department, said a neighbor reported the fire at 213 N. Main St. around 3 p.m.

Firefighters from Roberts and Melvin responded, then called for mutual aid from the Thawville fire department shortly before 3:30.

The garage was located behind a home on the property. The property’s owner, Rodney Fairley, was not home at the time the fire started, Stevens said.

Some electrical heaters and propane heaters were being used to heat the garage, Stevens said. Stevens said the heaters were operating at the time of the blaze and appear to have caused it.

The garage and most of its contents — including some equipment, tools and a classic car — were “pretty much a complete loss,” Stevens said.

Stevens was unable to provide a monetary estimate for the damage.

An estimated “dozen and a half” firefighters were on scene for a couple of hours, Stevens said.

No injuries were reported.

Location (3):Local, Ford County, Roberts

Comments

The Paxton Record embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. we reserve the right to remove any comment at its discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments