Fire chief: Cause of blaze at Melvin bar was electrical

MELVIN — The state fire marshal’s office has determined that an electrical problem caused a fire last week at a bar in downtown Melvin, according to Melvin Fire Chief Larry Boundy.

Boundy said Wednesday that an investigator for the fire marshal’s office also determined that the fire started in an office in the basement toward the front of the building.

Boundy, who works as a snow-plow driver for the village of Melvin, said he was plowing snow in downtown Melvin when he noticed “flames coming out of the front windows” of the bar — Bubba’s Bar and Grill, 103 W. Main St. — around 3:15 a.m.

An estimated 30 firefighters from four area fire departments that responded.

No one was inside the bar, which had closed at 10:30 the night prior, Boundy said.

The building received “substantial fire and water damage,” Sheriff Mark Doran said. The damage was limited to the first floor and basement, Boundy said.

Comments

The Paxton Record embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. we reserve the right to remove any comment at its discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments