Man on parole charged with beating man unconscious

GIBSON CITY — A Gibson City man with a history of violent crime was charged Friday with felony battery as the man he is accused of beating remained in a coma with a fractured skull at an Urbana hospital.

Ryan A. Nibbe, 34, who listed an address at an apartment in the 700 block of North State Street in Gibson City, was charged in Ford County Circuit Court with two counts of aggravated battery, a Class 3 felony, in connection with the alleged beating of Timothy Robertson shortly after midnight on Sunday, July 28.

Nibbe remained at the Ford County Jail on a $150,000 bond Friday. A preliminary hearing is set for 10 a.m. Aug. 12.

Robertson was taken to Carle Foundation Hospital with a fractured skull following the incident, and he remains in a coma, according to a verified statement of arrest by a Gibson City police officer, filed in court Friday.

A Carle spokesman said Friday she had no information on Robertson.

Gibson City police found Robertson laying unconscious on the sidewalk in front of an apartment building at 130 1/2 N. Sangamon Ave. shortly after 12:30 a.m., the officer’s statement said.

A man who lives in the apartment building — Jason Battishill — had called 9-1-1 to report the incident. Upon arrival, police interviewed Battishill and Nibbe.

Battishill told police that Robertson had entered the stairwell of his apartment, where both he and Nibbe confronted Robertson. Battishill said that Robertson “swung his arm in an attempt to hit Nibbe, but missed badly.” Nibbe then punched Robertson, causing him to fall off the stairwell and onto the sidewalk, the officer’s statement said.

Battishill said Nibbe then followed Robertson outside and struck him again with his fist, causing him to hit the ground.

The officer’s statement said Robertson suffered a fractured skull and was in a coma at Carle Foundation Hospital.

Nibbe was arrested Thursday afternoon.

In court Friday, Nibbe was admonished of the charges and told he would be eligible for extended-term sentencing due to his criminal history. Urbana attorney David Rumley was appointed to represent him.

Under extended-term sentencing guidelines, aggravated battery carries a possible sentence of 5-10 years in prison.

Nibbe is on parole from the Illinois Department of Corrections. The IDOC’s website shows Nibbe was paroled in February after being sentenced to two years in prison in April 2012 for an aggravated battery conviction in Macon County.

Nibbe was also convicted of aggravated battery in 2008 in Ford County and was sentenced to five years in prison. He also had convictions in Champaign County for aggravated driving under the influence in 2006 and burglary in 2000. He also was convicted of theft in 1997 in Vermilion County.


The Paxton Record embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. we reserve the right to remove any comment at its discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments